Old December 2nd, 2015, 05:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

Default Milan to Bucharest by train?

On Tue, 1 Dec 2015, tim..... wrote:

If you want to avoid the OBB EC bus replacements,
there are a couple of FUC day trains from Udine to Villach (707 and 1717)

there are two options a day changing at Zurich

I tend to regard going north (to Switzerland) to get east to Vienna (and
furher east to Bucarest) as both ineffective and expensive

and several at Verona and Innsbruck

Yes, the Brenner way is more natural to go to Austria (Innsbruck or
Salzburg), but still a bit innatural to go east to Vienna. And
unfortunately there are no more through trains from Milan (which used to
exist, I caught them often for Munich) but one is forced to change in
Verona (the DB trains come from Bologna or Venice)

The natural way for Vienna (at least since northern Italy belonged to
the Austrian empire) is via Tarvisio-Villach. There used to be both
several day intercity trains, as well as local trains Villach-Tarvisio.

As I said the funny (?) thing is that they refurbished completely the
Pontebbana railway (putting a cycle path on the old railway) and for
unclear reasons all daytime international train disappeared, and OBB is
running a bus !

Just recently they re-introduced this couple of trains from Udine
to Villach http://www.ferrovieudinecividale.it/progetto-mi-co-tra

you may like this motto
http://messaggeroveneto.gelocal.it/p..._558/image.jpg