Old March 11th, 2016, 05:25 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

Default Trains in Europe (again)--recommendation

On 1/03/2016 11:40, Paul Aubrin wrote:
On Mon, 29 Feb 2016 18:03:40 -0500, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:

I have to be in London at the beginning of April.

I have to be in a tiny village in Navarre 20 April.

I have to be near Sibiu, Romania early June (but need at least a day in
Bucharest first).

In between, I'd like to take trains from London to Pamplona, with a few
one- or two-day stops along the way. But not too many, because I want
to bicycle from Pamplona to Zamora before I report to Villamayor de
MonjardÃ*n on the 20th.

From Villamayor, bus to ?? and then train to Bucharest around the
beginning of June, Again, a few one- or two-day stops along the way
would be nice but not to delay my arrival in Bucharest/Sibiu very much.

Earlier, someone suggested night trains, to save lodging costs AND keep
the day free for wandering. Sounds good.

Low cost would be nice, too. Maybe a pass would be worthwhile. While
working in Villamayor, I pass my 62nd birthday, if that affects prices.

Recommendations?

From Paris to Spain, there are few night trains:
Paris-Austerlitz 21H52 Hendaye Irun 9h25
http://www.sncf.com/ressources/409_0.pdf

Paris 21H39-Latour de Carol international station (near Andorra) 7H51
http://www.sncf.com/fr/trains/interc...is-austerlitz-
latour-de-carol-luchon-cerbere

http://www.sncf.com/fr/trains/intercites/reseau

I read recently that the SNCF is going to scrap a few night trains, as
cheap air flights have made them loss-makers.

I can't find the more recent article, but here's an old one:

$http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...leeper-service

http://cannes-or-bust.com