Old March 28th, 2016, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Default Trains in Europe (again)--recommendation

On an overnight from Vienna to Venice, because the route takes less
time than overnight, we stopped mid-way for a couple of hours. And
the fumes of oil permeated everything. Hard to breathe. Never again
would I take an overnight train.

They don't all use the same rolling stock, you know.

The two sleepers I've used most recently were London-Edinburgh and
Budapest-Romania. Both were fine - the Hungarian one had more
comfortable beds, the British one had a nice lounge bar. The border
hassles between Hungary and Romania (in the small hours) were a
sleep-disrupting nuisance though.

My worst experience with inhaled toxic crap was at Frankfurt
airport. They'd sprayed the entire area I had to wait in with
some kind of scented cleaning product I was allergic to. Non
stop sneezing until they opened the gate.