Old September 21st, 2012, 10:05 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Default Vienna Dubrovnik

"JohnT" wrote:
"Jack Campin" wrote in message
German railroads have spoiled me, but I know about good-sized
places in the US with no passenger rail service.
Other than on the East and West Coasts, there are hardly any
places with any service by Amtrak.

There seem to be quite a few along the South Coast, the North Coast
and the Middle Coast as well:

http://www.mapmash.in/amtrak.html

I expected the rail network to link to the Mississippi, but I was
surprised to see that its major hub was Chicago.

I wonder what it would cost you to go from Boston to LA via Atlanta
and Houston, and how long it would take?

According to the Amtrak website the only possible routing for the above
journey at this time of year is:

Boston to New York
New York to Atlanta
Atlanta to Washington DC
Washington DC to Chicago
Chicago to Longview Texas
Longview Texas to Houston by Thruway bus
Houston to Longview Texas by Thruway bus
Longview Texas to St Louis
St Louis to Kansas City
Kansas City to Los Angeles

Journey Time: 5 days 3 hours
Cheapest Fa Amtrak are unable to process this itinerary. (What a surprise!)

Its Houston that complicates the route. The City of New Orleans stops in St
Louis on the way to and from Chicago.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist with iPad