Old September 22nd, 2007, 08:03 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

Default Electricity Question

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:53:16 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote in
:

kangaroo16 wrote:

Well, if the "batteries" are rechargeable, they are probably
either nickel/cadmium or the newer NiMH [nickel/metal hydride]
cells.

If it uses standard "AA" or "AAA" size cells, no particular
problem. You could either charge them with a congenial
car battery with a limiting resistor, to control the current.

If this is so, you could probably get someone charge them off a
standard car battery which is 12 volts at a few hundred amps.

NOTE: Don't try this with tourist buses or trucks which may well
have 24 volt systems.

If the camera directly uses "AA" or "AAA" cells your instruction
book should tell you if you can use conventional "alkaline"
non-rechargeable cells of these sizes.

If uses either of these, again no particular problem. You would
be able to get a 240 volt AC charger to charge either of these
here.

However, I would consider your "best shot" is to go to a camera
store, explain that you are going to Australia, and ask them for
their "expert" advice when your only choice of charging is from
12 volts DC or 240 volts a.dc.

It isn't really all that difficult.

For instance, I have a "mini mag light" pocket torch [or
"flashlight"] that uses 2 "AA" size cells.

I could use two conventional "AA" zinc/carbon cells, but they
would have limited life. Usually use "alkaline energizers",
Mn02, cells.

If I wanted to use rechargable cells, would use either Ni/Cd
[nickel/cadmium cells] or the newer metal hydride cells,
designated as "NiMh".

Both are rechargeable, by several means, including solar
chargers.

Your instruction book for the camera should tell you what
it requires for operation, in terms of voltage and amperage.

Cars in Australia generally have a 12 volt D.C. battery. So if
you rent a car, your problem is solved. Even if you don't rent
one, am sure that someone will be willing to charge your battery
pack for you.

Firstly, if a 12 volt DC supply, all that is required is an
inbuilt resistor to limit the current to 500 ma.

Although trucks and tourist buses may have a 24 volt supply, so
beware of this. The resistor value would vary.

I cheerfully admit that I don't know much about the power supply
for cameras.

If the camera requires 12 volts at 500 ma [500 milliamperes] to
charge, then it presumably can be operated off a cell pack that
delivers about 1.2 volts per cell.

Does your instruction book say that you can use conventional
zinc/carbon cells which provide 1.5 volts each, six of which will
provide 12 volts?

Or "alkaline energizer" cells which will do it? [They have
lower internal resistance] Or rechargeable nickel/cadmium cells
in series, that provide enough voltage to operate the camera?
[Due to lower internal resistance]

In other words, does the camera directly require a power source
that provide enough amperage at the required voltage.

Not to charge its internal cells, whatever they might be, but to
directly operate it?

As far as I'm concerned, the easiest thing for you to do is take
your camera into a photo shop, tell them that you want the
easiest and cheapest solution for your problem, then let drop the
fact that you are coming to Australia where the standard voltage
is 220-240 volts R.M.S. at 50 Hz and you want a recommendation!

Hopefully this post will be helpful to you and others.

While I truly appreciate the help, I'm afraid I'm lost. I can use
regular over-the-counter AA batteries. The rechargeable ones are AA
batteries, too.

I should have been a bit more specific. Firstly, "AA" is a
standard international designation for an "AA" size cell.

Technically speaking, it isn't a "battery". It is a single
"cell" which may have a fully charged output of between roughly
1.2 to 1.5 volts per cell, depending on type.

If your camera uses 4 "AA" cells in series, the cheapest
zinc/carbon traditional cells will produce a "battery" of
6 volts, as they have an output of 1.5 volts when fresh,
and 1.5 volts x 4= 6 volts. Zinc/carbon cells are traditional,
and are the cheapest.

Unfortunately, they discharge rather quickly when in use,
depending on the current [amperage] demand by whatever
device is using them.

Even more unfortunately, they "self-discharge" when in storage as
well, and when you buy a packet of them you may not know how long
they have been sitting on the shelf of the shop or store. They
aren't rechargeable.

The next step up, so to speak, for non-rechargeable cells, are
the
alkaline "AA" cells. These are recommended for "high drain"
applications, don't discharge much when unused, and have a
"shelf life" unused over a year.

There isn't any "rule" that can predict life of any cell. Say,
for instance, you have a pocket radio that uses a small
rectangular 9 volt battery.

If take one apart, you will find that it actually contains some
small 1.5 volt cells connected in series. 6 x 1.5 = 9 volts.

Can you "predict" how long a cheap 9 volt battery composed of
the traditional zinc/carbon cells will last in a transistor
radio application?

Not really, as it depends on the type of battery, the volume
control setting of the radio, how long it is on continuously,
the ambient temperature, and so on. [The cells composing it do
recover a bit from "rest".]

The next step up in a non-rechargeable cell [or "battery"] would
probably be "Alkaline Energizers". More expensive, but have a
long shelf life, at least a year from manufacture, will tolerate
higher current drain than zinc/carbon.

I don't know how much current your camera requires, or how
often you will be using it.

However, "AA" cells of either type are readily available in most
parts of Australia.

If I were an American tourist only coming down for five days, and
had an electronic camera, which presumably gives a "low voltage"
or "change battery" indication, I would feel perfectly safe to
have a set of non-rechargeable alkaline cells in the camera with
another set of 4 or more alkaline cells.

This should cover all the pictures you would want to take between
the U.S. and Australia.

I, of course, am not an "optimist" and would carry two "backup"
sets of four alkaline cells.

....After all, something might happen where I might like to take
lots and lots of photos and wouldn't have a source of the needed
cells.

Suppose, for example, the plane ditched in the ocean, and I and
other passengers survived it. [very unlikely actually, but "just
suppose".]

Once rescued, if rescued, my photos might be worth a lot of
money.

If my camera required 4 x 1.5 volt cells in series, I would be
carrying, on my person, 8 x 1.5 "AA" cells on my person as a
"backup".

The plane probably won't crash, so can arrive in Australia with
the alkaline cells in the camera, plus 8 cells backup. Will pay
less for them in the US than in Australia, still less if pick
them up in a "duty free"shop on the way.

For only a five day visit, I would consider having two sets of
alkaline batteries to be enough to cover most conceivable
circumstances, and I probably wouldn't even consider the
rechargeable cells or a charger for same.

If was going to stay longer, or was a migrant, would do so.

So how about rechargeable cells? Well, the choice once was
rechargeable nickel/cadmium (NiCd) cells, each of which would,
when charged, would provide 1.2 volts at 500 mAh.

To get a bit technical, if your camera requires 6 volts,
obtainable from 4 x zinc/carbon cells, how can it work on
4 NiCd cells?

Because they will also provide enough volts to operate it as they
have lower internal resistance.

Are they the latest variety of rechargeable cells? No, the
current technology uses NiMH or nickel/metal hydride cells.

Or am I getting to technical? To "boil it down", if I was a Yank
coming here for only 5 days, I probably wouldn't bother with
any sort of rechargeable cells.

Then again, I might, for NiMh are the best rechargeable cells
available to most people at the moment.

So if either a tourist or a migrant might consider rechargable
NiMh cells and a charger which could be used on both 220-240
or 110-120 volt power systems worldwide.

In my experience, an astounding number of fellow "Yanks" don't
understand basic electronic and electrical facts.

For example, suppose you have a 12 volt transistor radio which
operates on 12 volts at a few milliamps.

Can you safely operate it off a 12 volt automotive battery
which can supply several hundred amps? Sure, why not? It will
only take as much current [or amperage] as it needs.

But what happens if you connect it to a 24 volt supply? Not only
won't it work, but you might as well toss it into the nearest
waste or trash bin.

Does anyone on this group want to challenge me on this statement?

If so, why do I feel like a "German Shepard", or an "Alsatian" as
we call the breed here, using "cat language" to vocalize "Here,
kitty, kitty,kitty?

I really don't mind being "challenged" on my posts on any group.
I can usually mount an effective response if I am willing to
bother, as time permits.

In the same way that I deal with Aussie "flies" if they are
annoying me. Why bother to swat at them when can use the
rather primitive adhesive "flypaper"or an "aerosol spray"?

When you decided what to do, you might want to post on the group
initially, perhaps a bit of a "diary" on your trip to Oz.

If you cannot be bothered to do this, perhaps a post when you
return, stating what you have learned about Australia?

Also, would you consider migrating here?

I did so, decades ago, and I don't regret doing so.

Still, everyone has their own priorities.

Cheers,
Kangaroo16

I'm just going to take some extra AAs with me to last
through the 5 day trip to Ayers Rock and Cairns. I'm even thinking of a
disposable underwater camera for the Reef and that should spare my
batteries even more.

This will be my first and probably last trip to Australia and New
Zealand. This old grandma can't take the long plane flights for more
than one trip. g So I'm not about to spend on an adapter that I can
only use once. I don't do e-bay to resell it.

Thanks again. I'll be back with other questions, I'm certain.

Janet