Old September 23rd, 2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
kangaroo16

Default Electricity Question

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 15:39:14 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote in
:

kangaroo16 wrote:

I should have been a bit more specific. Firstly, "AA" is a
standard international designation for an "AA" size cell.

That's good to know

snipped the techie stuff

However, "AA" cells of either type are readily available in most
parts of Australia.

If I run out, then I'll be able to purchase more. Thanks for the info.

If I were an American tourist only coming down for five days, and
had an electronic camera, which presumably gives a "low voltage"
or "change battery" indication, I would feel perfectly safe to
have a set of non-rechargeable alkaline cells in the camera with
another set of 4 or more alkaline cells.

This should cover all the pictures you would want to take between
the U.S. and Australia.

I want to take 5 days worth of pictures *in* Australia. We are doing a
cruise-tour package and the first part is a land tour from Sydney to
Ayers Rock then to Cairns then back to Sydney where we board a cruise
ship to visit Melbourne then sail over to New Zealand and go around the
whole country putting in at some of the ports.

Sounds like a great trip! Although I have never traveled on a
cruse ship, my only journey by passenger ship was long ago, from
Timor to Portuguese colony of Macao. A short ferry ride to Hong
Kong, or "Honkers" as Aussie travelers might call it. I found the
ship trip rather boring, and the water was entirely too close
for a non-swimmer.:-) I prefer air travel, actually. :-)

You will at least appreciate the size of Australia more than
those making a quick visit here.

I don't remember if have mentioned in this group that when the
Americas Cup was held off Perth a few years back that two Yanks
landed at Kingsford Smith international airport in Sydney,
cleared immigration & customs, then got into a cab and asked
to be taken to Perth.

The driver laughed and suggested that it would be quicker,
easier & cheaper to go by air. One of the yanks reportedly
looked at the driver with a puzzled expression and asked
"Why?, it's just across the island isn't it?"

True, in a sense, but it is a damn big island continent, almost
as large as the continental USA. Apparently they either hadn't
bothered to look at globe or a world map, and if they just looked
a map of Australia they didn't bother to check the scale.

Sydney to Perth by air is 4110 kilometers [2552 miles] and
travel time around 4 hours. By coach (bus) 56 hours. By
rail, 65 hours. Travel time by sea not available.

http://www.events.australia.com/Plan...Distances.aspx

I don't remember what the Sydney Taxi fares were at the time, but
current fares a
Hiring Charges: $3.00
Distance Rate:
Tariff 1: $1.79 per kilometre Between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. daily.
Tariff 2: Tariff 1 + 20% Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. daily
Toll and ferry Charges: The hirer must pay all road,
bridge, ferry, tunnel and airport tolls that apply to the
journey.

http://www.taxiscombined.com.au/current_fares.htm

I, of course, am not an "optimist" and would carry two "backup"
sets of four alkaline cells

...After all, something might happen where I might like to take
lots and lots of photos and wouldn't have a source of the needed
cells.

I'll bring a dozen with me, just to be safe.

Suppose, for example, the plane ditched in the ocean, and I and
other passengers survived it. [very unlikely actually, but "just
suppose".]

Once rescued, if rescued, my photos might be worth a lot of
money.

LOL!

So how about rechargeable cells? Well, the choice once was
rechargeable nickel/cadmium (NiCd) cells, each of which would,
when charged, would provide 1.2 volts at 500 mAh.

That was the subject of my OP. I have rechargeables but my recharger
won't work on Australian electricity. I'm going to check Radio Shack, as
Cath suggested for their charger.

When I upgraded from Ni-Cad cells to NiMh about a year ago,
bought a 240 volt charger for four AA nickel metal hydride cells,
complete with 4 cells. From memory paid A$ 27 for it. NiMH
charge a lot quicker than nicads.

Radio Shack usually a pretty good source for such items. Might
be a good idea to ask them to check it on 240 volts before
purchasing it in store or having it sent to you.

Radio Shack operates here under the name of
"Tandy Electronics", actually owned by Woolworth's
Pty./Ltd. No connection with Woolworth's chain in the USA,
though. Doubt that they would honor a US guarantee.

If you want some good shots of Sydney and have time to do it
a trip to the top of Centre Point Tower observation deck might be
worthwhile.
-------

"Here's a tip to all the tourists coming to Sydney,
Australia.. Center Point tower is 300m tall and has the best 360º
views of Sydney. You could pay $23 to visit the tourist platform
OR take the free lift to the 360º bar and relax enjoy a cocktail
in comfort AND the view for only $14 "
http://www.flickr.com/photos/goz/119293715/

Lots of links from this site but I haven't explored them. The
site opens with interior photo of the bar.

A page with a better opening view of top of tower, bridge,
harbour, opera house, etc. at:
http://www.sydneytoweroztrek.com.au/

A quote from the "skywalk" link
Skywalk is Sydney’s newest and highest open air attraction -
Dare to step out over the edge!
Enjoy 360-degree open air views of Sydney Australia from the roof
of Sydney Tower, a breathtaking 260 metres above Sydney.
Harnessed onto a moving, glass-floored viewing platform that
extends out over the edge of the golden turret of Sydney Tower,
you can view Sydney beneath your feet from a whole new
perspective! With an adrenalin rush you can enjoy spectacular
views of all Sydney landmarks including the Sydney Harbour
Bridge, Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour, and the best views
all the way to the Blue Mountains.
http://www.skywalk.com.au/

There is also a tour where tourists can climb the Sydney
Harbour Bridge, but it is more expensive than the tower,
and as you can see from the photo links, the bridge is
nowhere near as high.

Or am I getting to technical? To "boil it down", if I was a Yank
coming here for only 5 days, I probably wouldn't bother with
any sort of rechargeable cells.

Yes, but I am going to be on the ship for 2 weeks after that. My charger
will work for the rechargeables on the ship.

In my experience, an astounding number of fellow "Yanks" don't
understand basic electronic and electrical facts.

I certainly wouldn't judge the national population by *me*! LOL! I was
born electrically challenged. I'm also directionally challenged. The two
seem to be on the same chromosome g

When you decided what to do, you might want to post on the group
initially, perhaps a bit of a "diary" on your trip to Oz.

I shall post about the battery decision. I will not be on line during my
trip. Though Internet service will be available, I'm taking a *real*
vacation.

You mean that you can go that long without e-mail? :-) Libraries
often have free public computers, can't you at least
let us know when you have arrived. :-)

Actually writing these words reminds me of a good
joke, but too long to post here. See
The Executive
sent by Dave of New York at following link.
http://www.tgifjoke.com/stranded-executive.html

If you cannot be bothered to do this, perhaps a post when you
return, stating what you have learned about Australia?

I would be delight to post upon my return and share my impressions. I
get back 11 November.

Looking forward to it. As it is getting into summer here, expect
warm or even hot weather. An nylon windcheater with parka could
be needed for occasional rainstorm.

You might like to check monthly climate and weather data for
various locations, there is plenty of info on Google.

The sunlight in Australia is more intense than anywhere in the
US, with lots of ultraviolet, so sunglasses are highly
recommended as well as high protection factor sun block cream,
especially if on a beach anywhere.

On my early journeys used a good 35 mm camera. Unfortunately,
seldom bothered to jot down notes as to time date location of
photos. Same for keeping a daily diary. Just became too much
trouble.

So something you might consider bringing is a pocket tape
recorder using standard tape cassettes so you can dictate
notes as go along. That is, if you can find one that uses
standard cassettes.

Most of the newer ones use mini-cassettes, or are totally
electronic. Mini cassettes can be hard to find out of the major
cities, and standard cassettes offer longer recording time
than mini-cassettes.

A couple of things that would urge all travelers and tourists
to carry would be as good torch ("flashlight") and if interested
in nature, a good hand lens.

For the torch, I would recommend the high quality Minimaglite,
the size that uses 2 "AA" cells. Is machined from aircraft
aluminum, waterproof, focussing head, spare bulb in base.
Not only useful at night, but very useful if get a power failure
where you are staying. :-)

For the magnifying lens, the small pocket one with three fold out
lenses used by biology and zoology students. Single or
combination gives you from 5x to 15x.

I don't know much about electronic cameras, but on my
35 mm film camera had a f1.8 50 mm lens, auxiliary close up
lenses and filters.

Australian flowering plants tend to be much more striking than
most plants in the US, and some very unusual animals and insects.

Of course, some insects don't really require a hand lens, such
as the
"titan stick insect (Acrophylla titan), in Dee Why
(suburban Sydney"

Tourists suffering from jet lag after a long flight from US or
UK, ...or those who have tried Aussie beer for the first time...,
probably wouldn't believe their eyes if ran across one.

" Its length, from the tip of the abdomen to the end of its
front legs was an astonishing 42cm (16.5 inches). Length from its
head to the end of its abdomen would have been approximately 25cm
(almost 10 inches)

To give you a better idea of how big that is, here's how it would
look beside some familiar objects - a CD, Zip disk and a pencil."

http://www.mdavid.com.au/insect/insect.html

No matter how much research you have done on your trip to
Australia, I would almost guarantee quite a few surprises. A
photo of you holding one would be a great conversation starter
in the USA when you return. They are harmless, incidentally.

Don't pick up any snakes, most are poisonous. Or Sydney
Funnel Web spiders, as their fangs can penetrate a fingernail.
Or any "redbacks" which are closely related to US "black widow".
Or the small cute blue ringed octpus commonly found in tidal
pools.

They are found around all Australian beaches.

"A Blue Ringed Octopus was not even known to be dangerous
until 1954. It all started in Darwin when a young sailor started
to head back to shore after going spear fishing with a friend. He
placed the blue ringed octopus on his shoulder for a few minutes.
He did not realise that he had been bitten. Shortly afterwards
his mouth became dry and he found it difficult to breathe. This
was followed by nausea and vomiting. He was immediately taken to
the Darwin hospital. He stopped breathing, many resuscitation
attempts were made, but all failed. After his death a tiny mark
was found on his shoulder."

As Sydney has been settled since 1788, it is a wonder to me
that there were no earlier fatalities recorded. Perhaps most
people had sense enough not to pick up strange creatures.:-)

"Following the loss of the American Colonies, Britain
needed to find alternative destinations that could take the
population of its overcrowded prisons. They were full mainly due
to the unemployment created by the Industrial Revolution[citation
needed]. Sir Joseph Banks, the eminent scientist who had
accompanied Captain James Cook on his 1770 voyage, recommended
Botany Bay as a suitable site. In 1787, the First Fleet of 11
ships and about 1305 people (736 convicts, 211 marines, 17
convicts' children, 27 marines' wives, 14 marines' children and
about 300 officers and others) under the command of Captain
Arthur Phillip set sail for Botany Bay.[1] On arrival, Botany Bay
was considered unsuitable and on January 26, 1788—a date now
celebrated as Australia Day—a landing was made at the nearby
Sydney Cove. Phillip named the settlement after Thomas Townshend,
1st Baron Sydney (Viscount Sydney from 1789), the Home Secretary.
The new colony was formally proclaimed as the Colony of New South
Wales on February 7."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History...lia_(1788-1850)

So Australians are pleased by the outcome of the Revolutionary
War and American Independence. Otherwise Australia probably
would have been claimed and settled by the French, Dutch, or
others. :-)

" Sydney Funnel Web spiders are found 160 kilometers from
the centre Sydney. Their favourite places to hide are in
clothing, equipment that is stored in a garage, any type of shed,
sandpits and also in pools."

http://www.usq.edu.au/users/weppner/...web_spider.htm

I might add that it sometimes invades houses and hides in shoes.
In general, a good idea to shake out your shoes before putting
them on in the morning.

Also, would you consider migrating here?

Probably not. All of our children are in the Northeast and we are way
down at the very, very tip of Texas on the border of Mexico where the
Rio Grande meets the Gulf of Mexico. The kids think we are too far away
as it is. They would disown us if we migrated.

Also, I'm not sure I can speak the language. I had to watch the dropbear
video 4 times to understand what the fellow were saying. g

I did so, decades ago, and I don't regret doing so.

Janet

Perhaps you will change your mind after visiting Australia.
....At least your kids won't ask you to fly up and babysit for
them. :-)

This post is probably getting a bit long, but possibly you and
other readers will find some interesting info in it. Both this
group and misc.immigration.Australia + NZ strike me as very
slow groups, with few daily posts on either.

Cheers,
Kangaroo16