Old September 26th, 2004, 02:52 PM
fairplay

Ir. Hj. Othman bin Hj. Ahmad wrote:

"Pan" wrote in message

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 10:24:19 +0100, "Elaine"

That happened to me too. After my trip to Malaysia in July-August
2003, someone cloned my debit card and maxed out my account taking a

It seemed to be prevalent among foreigners and not Malaysians. I used
to think
it was due to the gold credit cards but now I am using gold cards
regularly,
I still don't get cloned card charges.

trip to Songkhla. I got the money back, but had no money in my

account

for a week and then my bank wouldn't issue another debit card. I
finally got a new account but don't plan on taking a debit card next
time I'm in Malaysia.

What is a debit card anyway?

Looks like a credit card usually issued by 'visa or mastercard'
The difference being the money is taken out of your bank account right
away without a grace period. It is like writing a check.

It is always a good idea to get alternative sources of funds when
overseas.

Even locally, I and my wife carry with us more than 2 types of credit
cards,
from different banks.