Old August 18th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Jeff Hacker

"mrtravel" wrote in message
Garner Miller wrote:

In article , Captain Dondo

Sound Advice use the Delta FF tickets ASAP.

Well, I have reservations for X-mas on NW.... I hope NW will honor those
tickets if DL goes belly up....

Even if they declare bankruptcy (normally Chapter 11 to start), that's
*far* from going "belly-up." As the others have shown, it can take
YEARS for the process to drag out, and either come out successful, or
liquidate completely. But I'm sure you'll be fine for travel this
coming Christmas. That said....

As for other airlines honoring tickets from an airline that's ceased
operating, there are some limits.

Isn't this a bit different.
They actually booked NW flights, but got the tickets from DL.
Doesn't NW have to honor the tickets?

Actually, no they don't. The reason is that a ticket is kind of like a
check - it has to be "collected" from the issuing area. The ticket is an
"executory contract" which is a contract performable over time (i.e, you buy
the ticket in August, but don't fly until September). If Delta goes into
bankruptcy, their "checking account" is frozen and the ticket won't be paid.

Frankly, I'd be just as worried that Northwest ends up in Chapter 11; they
are facing a major strike this weekend and if it happens it could easily
throw them in.

Jeff