Old August 7th, 2009, 01:16 AM posted to rec.travel.misc,sci.space.policy,alt.politics
giveitawhirl2008

Default How to get yourself a vacation on another WORLD !!!

On Aug 6, 7:58*pm, giveitawhirl2008
wrote:
On Aug 6, 7:37*pm, giveitawhirl2008
wrote:

On Aug 6, 9:33*am, BradGuth wrote:

On Aug 5, 5:26*pm, giveitawhirl2008
wrote:

On Aug 3, 9:37*pm, Sylvia Else wrote:

giveitawhirl2008 wrote:
On Aug 2, 8:08 am, Sylvia Else wrote:
I think I'll wait until fusion rockets have been developed.

Sylvia.- Hide quoted text -

(Also responding to BradGuth, on swinging cats, etc. - Schrodinger
didn't like cats, either, did he?) :-)

Sylvia Else wrote: " I think I'll wait until fusion rockets have been
developed."

That's one my most key points; the idea is to develop a FAST system.
It might be fission, fusion, antimatter, or whatever. The idea to me
is to have CONGRESS MANDATE acceleration of 1G and cruising speed of 1
million mph.

Once you've reached the point where propellant mass is not significant
compared with payload, you might as well run a constant acceleration all
the way (including during turnover), even if that's only, say, 0.1g.
This also reduces the power requirements, resulting in a lighter power
generator.

Sylvia.- Hide quoted text -

A gradual acceleration that gets us there and back in a time frame
similar to what I'm talking would be fine for any particular mission.