Old February 14th, 2004, 04:55 AM
Exile on Market Street

Default JFK Airtrain: Good News, Bad News, Good News and Bad News

Alex Rodriguez wrote:

The folks making those decisions don't care. They know they have the only
train ride to the airport, so they charge what they want. If they really
cared, they would have worked with the MTA to give us a single ride to the
airport. If they had done that, the $5 fare would be fair.

As I understood it, the reason Airtrain is a separate system is because
it was built using money from the Federal Aviation Trust Fund that can
be used on airport access projects.

According to the Feds' rules (as I saw them interpreted in the press),
said airport access projects can *only* be used to reach the airport.

Now I would think that a spur off an existing subway or regional rail
line that had stops only on the airport property ought to qualify. But
from what I recall reading, it wouldn't.
--
-----------Sandy Smith, Exile on Market Street, Philadelphia----------
Managing Editor, _Penn Current_ /

"There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is
not being talked about."