Old January 30th, 2007, 12:47 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bolwerk

Default LA Times: U.S. Love Affair With The Car Ending

David Nebenzahl wrote:
Jack May spake thus:

"Bolwerk" wrote in message

Jack May wrote:

"SMS" wrote in message

Calif Bill wrote:

They already did that. That's how we ended up with so many highways
in the first place.

The highways are an inherent result of technology evolution, society
needs, and normal progress. Trying to hold on to past with obsolete
technology always fails in a free society.

So, Jack, you're saying that our highway system just sort of, naturally,
evolved? Is that right?

And here I always thought it (specifically, the interstate highway
system) came about because *people planned it*. And not just people, but
big, powerful, famous, influential people, like Dwight D. Eisenhower.
Silly me! They're just an "inherent result" of evolution. Technology
evolved, and then one day, *Poof!* there were highways.

So was it some sort of intelligent design that evolved the highway system?

You forgot to mention that everyone who takes a train is a pea-brained
laggard with a welfare check. Upstanding white folk such as yourself
should never stoop to such lows!