Old October 17th, 2013, 03:30 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Default So who's made an effort ...

Jack Campin wrote:
to learn the language of the countries they visit?
I've been to Italy almost a dozen times but haven't learned anything
beyond a few phrases.

Having studied most of my life to become an opera singer, I have a
smattering of German, French and Italian (although far from fluent).
When I took my first European tour (Prague-Vienna-Budapest) I took along
phrase-books to help. I found Czech difficult enough, but Hungarian
totally impossible! (Even my attempts at "Good Morning" drew only blank
stares, and I am convinced it was only the desperation in my voice when
I pleaded for "kava" that produce the desired coffee from a
sympathetic waiter.)