Old November 18th, 2005, 05:18 AM posted to rec.travel.air

Default United Swamped With Flight Attendant Applications

This directly contradicts the generally-held, but naive belief that the
American economy is doing well.

You need to use a bit more caution when establishing a cause and effect
in the job market. At the minimum you are making the assumption that
all those who applied are currently unemployed.

I'm just using well-informed common sense. Headhunters have told me
that back when the economy was booming, ordinary jobs like secretary
jobs would only garner 20 or so resumes. Now those same jobs
attract hundreds of resumes. One headhunter told me that a really good
job attracted many, many thousands of resumes. In good times it would
have attracted hundreds of resumes.

Your point about applicants is correct, but misleading. You probably
are unaware that the DOL reports people with a part-time job, or a
job giving them less hours than they need, as being employed, with the
natural assumption by typical Americans that this means full-time. Yes,
many of those applicants are probably employed by the DOL's
definition, but not employed anywhere near the level they need to
survive. My point still stands: if the economy is so great, then UA's
ad would have attracted far fewer applicants. UA's expectation that
only 1/7 as many people would apply only strengthens my case.