Old January 3rd, 2010, 11:37 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Joseph Coulter[_6_]

Default Car Hire in Australia: need for SLI?

On 3 Jan 2010 16:27:07 GMT, "Norman" wrote:

neverwas wrote:

almostbob wrote:
gravel roads, road trains, roos, completely different to what most
tourists have encountered b4, high likelihood of glass damage
but still more like buying the car again $230/week
$33/day isnt bad, for the rental co

Fair point (although I am not sure why road trains are a bigger risk than
French artics tail-gating me at 110 kph in the rain on the autoroute). But
damage to the car from gravel* etc are all covered by the policies I am
looking at. The main issue I have is whether or not to include the SLI.

That said, another issue is whether car hirers in Oz are willing to sign off
a car on its return. Or do they - like those in the USA - insist on you
dropping the car off and leaving them to "find" scratches etc later -
possibly after the cars been scraped in their yard?

*though I'm too old to chance driving unpaved roads in a hire car in remote
locations so we'll be sticking to the Stuart Highway etc

My wife and I hired a 4WD campervan (brand spanking new) for 9 weeks in
Australia earlier this year from one of the major companies. We relied on the
hire company's insurance cover which seemed OK. We drove more than 16,000 km,
about 4,000 of that on dirt/gravel roads and tracks with quite a few creek
crossings. At the end of the hire the hire company rep gave the van a 60-second
inspection and signed it off on the spot.

They will sign off on the spot as Norman says. I am not sure what
extra policy you are contemplating I do take extra coverage with me
through my travel insurance. I did have an accident in Tasmania, but
that time my coverage had been arranged locally so I do not know if
supplemental insurance was a part, but I did not have to pay even
though the front corner of the driver's side was clipped by a right
turning vehicle.
Joseph Coulter
Joseph Coulter Cruises and Vacations
www.josephcoulter.com