Old November 11th, 2003, 12:36 AM
Stefan Patric

Default Hawaii-# of islands recommendations

On Sunday 09 November 2003 19:53, VALID wrote:

We're going to Hawaii for about 11 days in January and are just trying
to finalize our itinerary.

Originally, we were thinking of hitting 3 islands: the big island,
Maui
and Kauai. While planning the trip, we realized that we are going to
have to rent a car on each island and then go to the airport multiple
times and started to think that 3 islands within 11 days may feel a
bit rushed.

So, we're now thinking about just going to 2 islands and shorten the
trip
to 9 days or so. We'd like to get some advice on which island to skip
or if you guys think that 3 islands in 11 days is doable.

We're thinking about skipping out on the big island and just going to
Maui and Kauai.

Any suggestions?

Whether 3 islands in 11 days is do-able from a practical stand point,
depends mostly on your vacation strategy: Are you mostly looking for
relaxation or a whirlwind tour of the major points of interest
returning home more exhausted than when you left or somewhere in
between? If it's the whirlwind super-tourist route, then, yes, you can
fully do 3 islands in 11 days just don't plan of sleeping much. ;-)
With travel time taking up 3 days, that leaves you 8 days and nights
for touring. However, 2 islands in 8 + 3 would be a less hectic pace
and would allow plently of time for just relaxing. However, contrary to
your 2 island choices, I would recommend The Big Island and Kauai
instead of Maui and Kauai. Here's why:

Hawaii -- the island -- is much more diverse with climates ranging from
arctic (atop Mauna Kea in winter) to rain forests (on the slopes above
the town of Hilo) to desert (the lava fields on the south end of the
island) and all within a couple hours drive. That's quite unique for a
TROPICAL island. Besides just plain old scenery, coffee plantations,
and the largest cattle ranch in the US, there's lots of historical
sites there, too.

Kaui has Wiamea Canyon called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, the
wettest spot on Earth (about 400 inches average a year) and is so laid
back that it's almost impossible not to relax and smell the flowers.

On your second visit, do Maui along with Lanai and Molokai.

Anyway, have a nice trip, whatever the itinerary.

--
Stefan Patric
NoLife Polymath Group