Old March 24th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Icono Clast

Default ROAD TRIP $$$

wrote:
To complicate things, some free-standing ATMs in small shops in
Manhattan, as one example, may charge $2 per transaction and then will
not allow you to withdraw more than $100 or $200 in each transaction -
thus socking it to you on the rate.

Oh, it's worse than that:
I tried one of those machines that politely informed me of its
exhorbitant charge and asked if I would like to complete the
transaction. I said "No" and got my card back.

Did the same at another.

When the bank statement arrived I learned that each had charged me
even though I had not used its service. I complained to the bank and
they came up with some sort of justifying song and dance that I've
since forgot but I'll never again stick my debit card in a non-bank
automated teller.

To the original point: I usually fill my pocket with $300 and then get
some more when it's gone. I'm going to Reno tomorrow. Will probably
have more than a thousand dollars cash with me on departure and expect
to come home, Monday, with more than that after expenses that will, of
course, be charged.

But should I gamble? Bad luck - going to Reno for a dance convention.
My back went out at 13:00 Monday. I can hardly walk with a cane much
less dance. The pills I'm popping are making me sick. I'm furious!
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net