Old November 10th, 2003, 01:53 PM
James Robinson

Default Travelling to India with a laptop?

Rohit wrote:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The power adapter says 110-240v input
so I guess it might work there as well. I don't know how the plug sockets
are there, but the notebook adapter plug is 2-pinned.

By two-pinned, I assume you mean the North American standard. You will
therefore need a simple adapter plug, which typically costs less than
$5. They are often available at some airport shops, luggage or travel
accessory shops, or Radio Shack. You can probably get by with the round
two-pin type used in Europe, rather than the three pin type with the
grounding pin.

Here is a drawing of the two-pin plug:

http://www.kropla.com/!c.htm

And some photos of the typical receptacles in India:

http://www.kropla.com/india_electric_outlets.htm

As far as phone connections go, you should be able to use the standard
US connector (RJ-11). Some phones may not have it, but they will be the
minority, particularly in hotels or offices.