Old September 6th, 2008, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
WPB

Default From Vienna to Sofia (via a western sightseeing route or an eastern???)

I think that the problem is going to be too much to see in too little
time. Clearly I can't do both the western route AND the eastern route
in the three weeks I've got. I'm really torn about which way to go.
Your suggested itinerary sounds wonderful, though. People are a bit
down on Bratislava in this newsgroup I think so I think I'd go directly
to Budapest from Vienna via train. The overnight train sounds like a
good idea and would certainly save money and get me from point A to
point B quickly enough. I've never done an overnight train, though.
Somehow I imagine it wouldn't be like 007 in a large suite with
Bollinger RD champagne on ice. But I love trains and it sounds
intriguing.

One thing I have to do for this trip is adjust my expectations. When I
took trains in Japan there would be a digital clock at the front of the
car. So, say, the train was supposed to leave at two o'clock. The
digital clock would click down 13:59:58 . . . 13:59:59 . . . 14:00:00.
The SECOND it hit two o'clock the train pulled out. I love when things
run on time.

I can't have a mindset like that in eastern Europe when it comes to
trains and buses!

Thanks for the great advice!

David

Both routes are very different and each merit 3 weeks (or longer) in
their own right.
The western route takes in more capital cities, basically travelling
down the Danube.
The eastern route is definitely more scenic - Adriatic coast,
mountains and more of a Muslim influence.

Prices (food and accommodation) on the eastern route will be somewhat
cheaper, and whilst transportation is pretty reliable throughout the
region, it is probably a little slower (and perhaps a tad more
complicated, involving more buses & perhaps some ferries) on the
eastern route.

You might, perhaps, consider the following option: Vienna, hydrofoil
to Bratislava, train to Budapest, overnight train to Sarajevo &
Mostar, train to Ploce, bus to Dubrovnik, bus to Bar (Montenegro),
daytime train to Belgrade, overnight train to Sofia. This is just
about "do-able" in 3 weeks.

Have fun!

Gerry