Old February 28th, 2006, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Bad Year to Go To East Africa?

Have you actually sent many clients to Serengeti in the
April - May rainy season?

Dave Patterson wrote

I haven't. Knowing that you are a lot more comfortable than
the average client would be with things like rain, I say GO.

We are used to photographing brown bears in the rain in Alaska (five
straight days of rain last Sept while camping at Katmai) so know how to
protect the gear and shoot in moderate rain, but I'm concerned about
the roads if it rains heavily in Tanzania, especially getting down the
west side of Ngorongoro to the Serengeti ... at any rate, I wired the
$$ and we are signed on for April 1-10, 3 nights at Manyara and seven
nights in the Serengeti. We'll see how this goes

Now that we are about 130 days with NO measurable
precipitation in the Phoenix area, a little rain sounds pretty good

It's up to 132 days (all-time record) but today there's a 40% chance of
rain (!!!) ... then another dry spell on the horizon ...

Bill