Old February 20th, 2009, 10:03 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
David Bennetts

Default SIM Cards

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , PJT says...
Does anyone have experience of using a pay as you go simcard from
www.simcardguru.co.uk whilst travelling in Australia ?

I gather this is purchased before leaving the UK but can be topped up in
Australia.

You can easily buy a SIM card upon arrival in Australia. Just don't get
a Vodafone card and make sure that the place where you buy the card
activates the card for you (ask before buying the card).
--

Alfred Molon

Why not a Vodafone card? I've found their rates better than many of the
others, and coverage sometimes superior.
They had the contract to do major highways. If you're travelling within
major population centres the GSM network is fine, for a lot of country work
the Telstra Next G is more expensive but gives better coverage. If you go
remote outback you'll want a satellite phone.

You can buy sim cards all over the place, from supermarkets, Post Offices
and service stations. If you buy from a Woolworths or Dick Smith store
you'll get a 10% discount. But make sure your phone isn't locked to a
particular network before you leave the UK - my cousin didn't check that out
and found his phone useless when he arrived.

Regards

David Bennetts
Australia