Old February 15th, 2004, 12:18 AM
Peter T. Daniels

Default JFK Airtrain: Good News, Bad News, Good News and Bad News

*@X.* wrote:

Anyway. It wasn't the easiest transportation ever but as a novice I
really had no major troubles. The part where I have to use two
vending machines on separate sides of the turnstiles to buy the two
separate passes I needed to get to Manhattan was absolutely ludicrous.
Maybe they are trying to discourage use of the $7 all day subway
funpass by out of towners.

The (originally $4, when a single fare was $1.50) FunPass was invented
_for_ tourists and initially they made it very difficult for a local to
get one. But at $7 it's rarely the best choice, since you need to make
four two-leg trips to make it cheaper than simply using your per-ride
card ($1.67). For a commuter, the weekly ($21) or monthly ($70)
unlimited cards are the best deal.
--
Peter T. Daniels