Old January 30th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Raffi Balmanoukian

in article , Roarmeister at
wrote on 1/30/05 2:15 PM:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:16:12 +0200, John
wrote:

Hello, I'm an amateur backpacker.
I'd like to ask which is the best way to pack my rucksack,mat and
sleeping bag, before giving them for check-in for a flight.
Should I leave space in the rucksack to fit my sleeping bag, or it's
fine to give it seperately?

Buy a compactable utility bag (not unlike a hockey equipment bag, perhaps
smaller to suit your load). Put all of your gear inside. That way there
are no straps, latches, snaps, exterior gear, et al that can snag or rip on
airline baggage handling equipment. Leave it unlocked so the authorities
can open it without ripping it to examine the contents.

Of course it goes without saying that matches, stove fuel and the like are
a definite no-no.

I used to like wrapping it in a plastic mattress bag for just this reason;
however, now that a lot more bags are opened, the duffel makes sense.