Old October 1st, 2006, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.caribbean
Ken Tough

Default Where to see coral reefs?

Apparently wrote:

I want to make a trip to the Caribbean and see the coral reefs. But
I've heard/read that a large portion of the coral in the Caribbean has
died. Does anyone have any up-to-date info about where live coral
reefs can still be observed? I've search online but I just keep
getting articles about the coral dying, none about where there is still
some alive. I'm interesting in knowing which islands and which areas
around the island to dive/snorkel.

Best coral I've seen was in Cuba (on undeveloped parts off the south
coast, diving with a guy out of the back of his rusty old VW beetle).
There is some very amazing scenery there.

Curacao was also excellent; I hear Bonaire was even better, so that
would be tops too.

Other places have some quite unique features, like Dominica's diving
around the volcanic thermal gas/water ("Champagne") and St Eustatius's
marine park with very large examples of regular reef fish and lots
of gorgonians and soft corals.

Coral dies primarily for two reasons: global/ocean warming, and the
physical impact of human presence (ships, pollution, divers).
The second has wiped out a lot of Mexico's east coast gems, and
in the case of the first, perhaps coral will start to move north
more if better marine parks can be formed and enforced. As it is,
most islands have some particular things of interest.

Generally, the islands around Venezuala are pretty impressive, and
I've heard good things about Belize but never been there. Cuba is
great, but you'd have to go off the beaten track and would probably
need Spanish.

--
Ken Tough