Old January 24th, 2011, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
David Hatunen

Default Dutch Money

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 10:38:46 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 23 Jan 2011 01:56:57 +0000 (UTC), David Hatunen
wrote:

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 12:31:38 +0100, Martin wrote:

Some ATMs charge for use. Avoid them.

In general, ATM exchange rates are so close to the interbank rate that
they make using something like For-Ex absurd. But, although some banks
do charge a fee for withdrawals from machines that aren't theirs (just
as they do back in the USA), the fees charged are small enough that they
are still worthwhile in comparison to converting money. Even if the fee
is US $3.00 per withdrawal, that's only one percent on a $300
withdrawal.

Try EUR 2.50 or more.

American card issuers don't charge fees in euros. There are ATM card
issuers that don't charge a fee at all for foreign withdrawals but they
are becoming rare.

I've not run across an ATM that charges for withdrawals in either Europe
or Mexico,

I live in The Netherlands maybe my warning and experience is more
relevant.

It seems to be a matter of having a US-issued card. I have no idea about
intra-European usage.

You don't have to use an ATM that charges in NL, there are plenty of
bank ATMs that don't charge extra to use them. A place where you will
find ATMs that charge are McDs.

Yep. Hence my warning about only using bank ATMs.

--
Dave Hatunen, Tucson, Arizona, out where the cacti grow