Old February 26th, 2006, 11:26 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Bad Year to Go To East Africa?

In message
"Michael Kilpatrick" wrote:

I realise there are no guarantees, even in a good year, of being there when
the migration is on, but I have been led to believe July is the best time -
but it's also the most expensive. I'm also a bit constrained in that I
probably can't get away from work until June.

In June, you'd see the migration in the Serengeti, even if they've
started spilling in to the Mara by then. It'll be moving north by
then, so stay maybe a few days in Seronera and a few days at Lobo, or
other accommodations which may be available in these areas.

If that's your main aim, that would be your 'safest'* bet, even in
early July.

* of course, it's all relative! But I'd think the chances of all the
game being in the Mara even by mid-July are pretty slim. It's a pity
you can't cross the political border which divides the two parks
(unless things have changed again and I haven't heard!) which would,
from the visitor's perspective, be ideal.

Slainte

Liz

--
Virtual Liz: http://www.v-liz.com
Kenya; Tanzania; Namibia; India; Seychelles; Galapagos