Old May 18th, 2006, 10:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

Default Saudi Arabia opens its doors to tourists

David Horne wrote:

Gregory Morrow wrote:

[]
Or you could visit Mecca during the Haj and watch the crowds stampede
themselves to death!

Strange as it may seem, millions of over hairy sweaty men crushed
together under the sun isn't exactly my idea of a good time either!

But hey, aren't you just so _impressed_ that the Saudis are looking to a
future after oil by doing all this?

The Saudis would do well to plan for some kind of industry or
something, it's not like they are self - sufficient in anything...

Even now they are an increasingly poorer country, IIRC per capita
income is something like a third of what it was 30 or so years ago at
the height of their oil power. They also have the problem of a
population that does not have any kind of real work ethic, they are
used to sitting around and having cheap immigrant labour do all their
work. They also have increasingIy radicalised religious sects and an
extremely corrupt ruling family. In any case I don't forecast a real
rosy future for the place...promoting tourism is just a silly bagatelle
of a thing for them to do.

--
Best
Greg