Old January 11th, 2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Ross

Default Moving to Australia

If your computer system will allow it download Google Earth and have a look
at the capital cities from the air.

You may find the images "revealing" as to the way the cities sprawl.

I live in Brisbane (Queensland) but have no bias as to suitability of one
city over another.

Sydney was the first settlement and development over 200 years shows little
or no real planning.

You may find Adelaide (South Australia) has an interesting city centre. It
is surrounded by parks. It was a planned and laid out settlement.

Melbourne was settled and planned as was Canberra. City centre planning is
quite evident.

Perth (Western Aust) and Brisbane (Queensland) were "hurried" settlements.
Planning has been a bit of this and a bit of that. That is not to say they
are unattractive in their own way.

I keep referring to "settlement" because nowhere starts out as a city. e.g.
London.

Ross

"Nick Fisher" wrote in message
oups.com...
OK, the decision is made (at least in principle): we are emigrating
from the UK to Australia.

We're pretty sure that either Sydney or Melbourne is going to be the
right choice for us, but although I've spend a bit of time in the
former, I don't know Melbourne at all.

It would be really great if people reading this NG could post some
links to information sites, particularly about Melbourne, profiles of
its different neighborhoods, the schools situation etc.

Thanks !

Nick