Old October 27th, 2003, 07:30 PM
richard b

Default Looking for PARADISE

"riverman" wrote in message
OK, I'm outta gas, and I need to recharge my batteries with my vacation

this
christmas (how's that for mixing metaphors?). I'm currently in Congo, and

have a 2 week break which falls right in the busy time of year: right

before
Xmas until right after New Year. I'm visualizing a place to go and
relax; it doesn't have to be in Africa, but I'm posting here because I
figure r.t.a. readers are some of the most well-travelled people on the
planet. I'm willing to go anywhere in the world, and I'm travelling with

my
girlfriend.

What I am visualizing:
--I can see in my mind's eye someplace tropical, with a waterfall, a
self-contined hut, and a jungle. Lots of birds and flowers, and great
scenery that makes you go Ahhhh! Not too far from civilization (for food
shopping, etc) but not in the middle of Touron Central, either. Definately
NOT a lot of 18-25 year olds partying all night: I'm into places that

aren't
yet too discovered. Prices aren't too bad, and I can spend my days

lounging
on a sand beach, or flyfishing below the waterfall, or swimming in the
stream, and just relaxing.

Any suggestions?

--riverman

Elandsbaai
Lots of birds, good fishing, lovely scenery, one hotel, no shops very few
tourists (except in December)
The beach is great but the water is cold, on the other side of the hill is a
fresh water vlei.. About one hour (75kms. of dirt roads) from something
resembling civilisation. The hotel did a fantastic breakfast for about $2US.
I think I might catch a couple of days there over the Christmas break.
Richard