Old June 30th, 2011, 07:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Josh

Default Delta and the military

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 23:19:04 -0400, Brian
wrote:

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 20:38:36 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

Keep in mind that this only applies when the soldiers are traveling
under orders. It seems like allowing tax writeoffs might be a better
approach than billing soldiers outright.

It would have to be as a refundable credit. I'm not sure if there
would be accounting or computer problems to this idea.

None of that is necessary -- from everything I can tell, the story is
so overblown as to basically be false. Yes, the military's contract
with Delta allows 2 bags, with a specified charge after that. And the
soldiers' orders allowed them to take 4 bags -- meaning they were
eligible for reimbursement for those charges (others have said the
soldiers are given a travel card to directly charge such things). It
sounds like the issue is these soldiers' training on how to travel, or
their inability to follow that training.

Having the basic negotiated fare include 4 bags would be more
expensive for *all* trips, including those that don't require more
than 2.

My company has negotiated rates at various hotels -- sometimes
Internet and parking etc are included, sometimes they're not. If
they're not, and I'm authorized to use them as part of my business
travel, all it means is that's authorized to go on my expense report.

Josh