Old September 26th, 2011, 02:49 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

Default NCL Hawaii

On 9/25/2011 4:26 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 9/23/2011 6:58 PM, Bill wrote:
On 9/23/2011 6:35 PM, Old Sarge wrote:
Didn't NCL remove one of their two ships in Hawaii?
Since I believe they are American flagged, they are bound by US Labor
laws and must pay minimum wages and abide by the law in total. I thought
I saw where they removed one ship due to it being too expensive to
operate there. A friend of mine got a Purser job on one of those ships.

They had 3 ships. They removed 2 a few years ago. Too much capacity was
leading to very low prices (which I took advantage of).

People complained about the service. I didn't find it all that bad, at
least not in the dining and housekeeping areas. Food was terrible.

Bill

Bill,

I know at least a dozen people who have sailed on that NCL ship and that
same itinerary at different times. You are the first one who *didn't*
find it terrible.

You must be easy to please. :-)

Don't get me wrong. Overall it was terrible and we will never sail NCL
again because of it (and many people I spoke to onboard felt the same
way). You had to be on line at 7am if you wanted to get a reservation at
a decent time at the (at the time) free Italian restaurant and they
never picked up the alleged reservation phone line. The dining room menu
posted outside the entrance did not match what they served and the
buffet often did not have signs saying what each dish was. And the lost
my OBC and multiple calls between my TA and corporate never got it
cleared up (it may have been given to someone else by mistake.

But out cabin steward was pleasant enough, it was a local girl who I
think was going to leave for college. And the waiters we had were
generally nice. I do recall that the maitre'd in the main dining room
was incompetent.

Bottom line was that for what we paid, it was a great deal. My biggest
mistake was not eating off the ship the night(s?) we stayed in port
overnight, certainly in Maui (I forget if there was a second night in port).

Bill