Old January 11th, 2008, 03:28 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
SMS

Default Finding Lowest Airfare Return USA-Italy with 3 Month Flexibility

Király wrote:
In rec.travel.europe PeterOut wrote:
I am living in the USA and would like to find the cheapest return air
fare to Italy. I am very flexible as far as time goes. It could be
any time in the next 3 months. I would be grateful if someone could
tell me the best way to get the cheapest air fare under these
circumstances.

I second Iceman's suggestion for checking out prices at local
bricks-and-mortar discount travel agents. Don't assume that the best
price will be found online. In 2005 my local discount agent got me the
transtlantic flight I wanted for hundreds less than I would have paid by
booking it anywhere online.

This is true. A good B&M consolidator will beat most of the on-line
prices, which almost always don't include consolidator fares.

If Peter would say where he's starting from, maybe someone could point
out some consolidators in the area.

Otherwise, check out "http://vayama.com". I used them for a flight from
SFO to FCO last year. They're an online consolidator (the only one I
could find actually). Here's an article about them "

What really hurts now is all the very high fees and taxes, which
unfortunately consolidator fares have to include as well. An advertised
$300 r/t to Europe easily turns into $600.

I could have gotten a slightly lower fare by flying to London, then
taking Easyjet, but it would have been a hassle because Easyjet leaves
from a different airport in London.