Old July 1st, 2018, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Athel Cornish-Bowden

Default Transportation CDG Airport to Hotel in Paris

On 2018-07-01 14:39:36 +0000, Ken Blake said:

On Sun, 1 Jul 2018 08:38:18 +0200, Athel Cornish-Bowden

On 2018-06-30 00:28:27 +0000, Ken Blake said:

I know there's very little activity in this newsgroup these days, but
just in case there's still someone here who can help...

I'm looking for inexpensive transportation for my wife and I from CDG
airport to central Paris. Yes, I know I can take the train, but that's
too much trouble with luggage.

No more trouble than taking a taxi. The station is right there in the
airport, and you won't be the only people with luggage. Moreover, the
train terminus is at the airport, so you won't have any trouble finding
seats. Once you're in central Paris you can easily find a taxi.
However, if you're planning to go so you should check the strike
schedule first. The strikes are petering out but they're still
continuing, and some lines are more affected than others.

Thanks very much. But if I add together the cost of the train for two
people and the taxi in Paris, how much less will it cost than just
taking a taxi from the airport? I might be wrong, but I thought there
wouldn't be a big saving.

The last time I took the RER B and A from Nation to CDG (changing from
B to A at Chatelet is very easy: just a matter of crossing a platform
at the same level; in other respects changing at Chatelet is best
avoided, as it's the most pickpocket-ridden station in Paris) I was
surprised at how much it cost, so with two people it could easily come
to 20€ (I'm guessing, I don't really remember, except that it was more
than I expected). Likewise the taxi could cost more than the 50€ that I
suggested, especially if they surcharge for baggage (something they
don't always do). Once you're in central Paris the taxis are not too
expensive (cheaper than Marseilles -- not that you care about that, but
I do). The taxi from the Gare de Lyon to where my daughter lives (close
to the Porte de Vincennes), a journey of about 10-15 minutes, typically
costs about 10€.

In summary, you're probably right: taking the RER and then a taxi may
well not produce a big enough saving to bother about.

As a seasoned traveller you probably know this already, but talking of
pickpockets, a few pieces of advice. Try not to look too much like
tourists in the Metro: no talking loudly in English, no expensive
cameras around the neck, and perhaps less obvious, no looking at a map
of Paris.

Should I just find a taxi when we arrive?

OK, but make sure it's a proper taxi that says Taxi Parisien on the
roof. Don't go with one of the people who accost you in the queue.

Yes, I know.

Should I use Uber? Is there
a good taxi/limousine service I should book in advance? Any other
suggestions?

Sorry: I've never used Uber.

If I just pick up a taxi when I arrive, about how much will it cost?
Same question with Uber--about how much will it cost?

I don't know, but reckon on at least 50€.

Is Uber available there? Is it a good choice? Is it less expensive
than a taxi?

Uber is certainly available. At least, it was a year or two ago, but
there have been efforts by the regular taxi companies to have it
banned. I don't know if these have succeeded.

--
athel