Old May 31st, 2007, 12:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

Default Desert - LA

On May 30, 12:21 pm, "paddy_nyr" wrote:
While I'm in Los Angeles I'd like to take a ride out to see the desert could
someone recommend where to go?

Thanks

Palm Springs and the Coachella Valley are referred to in L.A. as the
Low Desert. There is even a section of I-10 east of Indio, CA which
is below sea level.

There are other deserts. The Antelope Valley, which includes
northeastern L.A. County, and the Mojave Desert, which includes parts
of San Bernardino County and eastern Kern County are referred to as
the High Desert. The two desert areas (High & Low) are often hotter
than L.A, but are reported separately on local TV newscasts.

One neat thing to see in the Palm Springs area is the Aerial Tramway;
it goes from the foothills of the Coachella Valley northwest of Palm
Springs to Mt. San Jacinto at 8500 feet, an elevation gain of over a
mile. Be sure to bring a jacket; it gets cold at the top. See
http://www.pstramway.com/ for more information.