Old September 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Tickets to San Sebastian via Hendaye and Irun

SNCF obviously don't have any international fares programmed into
their ticket machines at Biarritz. That doesn't excuse the sloppy
station staff though. Did you get a classic Gallic shrug as well?

How did you guess ?

The northbound broad gauge track extends into Hendaye station and
gives onward standard gauge connections into FRance. The southbound
standard gauge track extends into Irun station and gives onward broad
gauge connections into Spain. Presumably no-one sees the need to run
trains in the other direction?

It's the same at Cebere and Portbou. All I can imagine is that there
is an agreement between Renfe and SNCF not to do so.

I was on the very first service TGV from Paris to Irun. I well recall
having my bags searched by a Spanish Customs official, who absolutely
stank of alcohol

I had a similar experience on the Hungarian/Serbian border, with the
added attraction that I had to convince 'Mihailj' to complete a
currency 'deklaratsia'. I filled it in and he signed it !