Old September 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM posted to misc.transport.rail.europe,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default Tickets to San Sebastian via Hendaye and Irun

A couple of years back I caught a train from Vigo in Spain to Poro in Portugal. The ticket office in Vigo actually sold me two tickets - one from Vigo to the border and another from the border to Porto. In Spain a Spanish conductor clipped my ticket and over the border the train changed conductors and a Portuguese conductor clipped the other ticket.

I had a very similar experience in the opposite direction. I wanted to
travel from Pontevedra in Spain to Porto in 2005. Once again, they
couldn't sell me a ticket, and sold me a ticket to Valenca Do Minho/
Tuy (the fare was the same) and another ticket from Valenca Do Minho
to Porto. Finding out the latter took forever at 7am, and we were not
the most popular passengers in Galicia that morning.

It actually worked out cheaper than the theoretical "through" fare.

As an aside, we had our passports checked on the train, which was
something of a surprise, as both countries are in Schengen. More
surprising given that a couple of days previously we'd visited Tuy and
Valenca and there was nary an immigration officer to be seen.