Old January 14th, 2004, 01:42 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

Default 9 hrs in Tokyo

In article ,
Bob Myers wrote:

I've been through Narita more times than I can count it seems, but
never out of the airport. I may end up with a 9 hour layover at NRT.
Is that enough time to actually *do* anything in Tokyo - figuring the
time it takes to get to/from the airport, checkin/immigration etc ?

Figure a minimum of an hour and half to get into town or
back

The train takes only an hour, and puts him pretty much where he wants
to be in Tokyo (if I were him, I'd take Keisei Skyliner to Ueno).
Figure 2 hours of train time, half an hour of waiting, walking, etc.
and even with 1.5 hours for check-in and immigration, he still has 5
hours in Tokyo. If he is really paranoid, he can add an extra hour
in each direction, and he still has a good 3 hours in Tokyo - better,
IMHO, than 7 hours in Narita, which is his only other option.

The only realistic option is
to go into the town of Narita itself, and see whatever there
is to see there.

Narita is a nice town, and I do go there when I have a couple of hours
to kill, but I can't imagine what one would do there for the whole day.