Old January 14th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Dick Locke

Default 9 hrs in Tokyo

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 01:42:55 +0000 (UTC),
(Vitaly Shmatikov) wrote:

The train takes only an hour, and puts him pretty much where he wants
to be in Tokyo (if I were him, I'd take Keisei Skyliner to Ueno).

I second that. It's in an older and more picturesque part of Tokyo.
Just north of the station is the national art gallery, sitting in a
nice park. Take the Ginza line subway a few stops east and you're in
Asakusa, home of the major tourist attraction temple. The Tokyo museum
is right across the river from there..

If you take the Keisei limited express (learn the Japanese characters
for "Limited Express") it's about a quarter the price of the Skyliner
and you get a slice of real Tokyo life during the trip. It takes an
extra 15-20 minutes. The Skyliner is a bit boring and sterile. The
limited express is a subway train that runs outside until Ueno and
fine if you have no baggage.

In nine hours, it's easy. Figure 1.25 hours for the train and IIRC it
runs about every 20 minutes. Biggest problem will be slow immigration
at Narita.