Old June 21st, 2007, 10:03 PM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Greece travelogue

In article , yri6tus02
@sneakeLEAVETHISOUTmail.com says...
"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
A detailed travelogue of our recent trip to Greece: Athens, Delphi,
Olympia, Peloponnese, Gialova, Mystras, Messene, Porto Heli, Mycene,
Nafplio
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Greece/2007/
--

Alfred Molon

Very nice site - thanks for that. I'm sorry that the weather wasn't better.

That you were planning to spend only one hour at Delphi really surprises me,
but at least you stayed quite a bit longer. For me, Olympia was even better
than Delphi, and I spent probably five times as long as the one hour you
took to peruse this enormously interesting site - and I even ran out of time
to visit the museum.

Much of your journey is similar to a trip I envisage taking with my wife
during the late spring (i.e. about he same time you went) one year, but we
would be travelling light, and will be using the trains and busses. When I
was in the area a few years ago I considered it so beautiful and interesting
that I didn't finish exploring the Peleponnese itself: I decided to wait and
do it with my wife later on.

You seem to be slightly critical of Greek food: but do bear in mind that
Greeks seem to thrive on it, and that we in Britain keep hearing about
Mediterranean diets to reduce the risk of heart attacks and so on.

I'm very surprised that you couldn't buy a GSM card for your mobile in
Athens, just because the shops were shut. In Crete (which I know better) you
can often pick these up at the remarkably well-stocked kiosks.

May I finally just add that the train journey from Tripoli to Argos is quite
incredible, at least for the first half of the journey! And of course, a
visit to a performance at Epidavros in the season really mustn't be missed.

Thanks for the feedback. If you are interested to know, here is what I
would have done differently now that I know more of the country:

1. on the day of the drive from Athens to Olympia via Delphi, just drive
to Delphi, spend more time at the site and spend the night in Delphi.

2. The next day slowly drive to Olympia and spend the night there. Spend
some more time in Olympia.

3. Skip the Bassae temple, as there is nothing to see but the road to
get there is crazy.

4. Perhaps stay in Methoni instead of Gialova, because the beach is
bigger and more accessible.

5. Stay around Nafplio in a nice hotel instead of Porto Heli, which lies
too far away from everything.
--

Alfred Molon