Old February 11th, 2006, 05:30 AM posted to rec.travel.africa

Default Animal or human excrement use, I look for info.

There is a museum in... mmm.... Caledon I think - where the spa is? that
has dung floors, and every Friday they renew them and show you how it's
done. Very interesting.

Catherine

"Marc Lurie" wrote in message
Jones, take your pick.

Almost EVERY village in Southern Africa uses cow dung for flooring or
walls. There's nothing secret or special about it, and it's been used
for hundreds of years. It is a very common building material.

If you're looking for examples of the use of dung as flooring
material, you don't even need to visit a village. You can go to any
tourist attraction fake village in the Johannesburg area to see its
useage.

If you're looking for an "authentic" Africa village that uses cow
dung, just drive to any area in South Africa, find any village, and
talk to the people there.

Marc

On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:09:38 +0100, Jones
wrote:

Marc, if you have been there, can you tell me what people and what

villages,
please?

In most parts of rural southern Africa cattle dung is used as a
flooring material as well as to make and decorate the walls of huts.
Virtually all of the rural communities use this method, particularly
in areas where there is only short seasonal rain or it is very dry.