Old May 9th, 2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Craig

Default How tough are Zion Hikes?

"Toller" wrote...

I am planning on visiting Zion in late July. Yes, I know it is horribly
hot, but that is when I will be there.
I am thinking of doing either Angel's Landing or Observation Point. I am
a little concerned about the strenuous nature of the them, but more so
about the chains. Can't say I have ever been on a trail with chains
before. Presumably no one falls off them or they wouldn't be open, but
just how dangerous and difficult are they?
Last year I did a 25' traverse across a 10" wide ledge with a 50' drop
off; I didn't much enjoy it and wouldn't want to face anything like that
again.

I was over 50 and was (and am) a mid-level or lower speed and not any sort
of an endurance hiker when I went to Zion with instructions to hike Angels
Landing as long as I wasn't afraid of height. Take your time and the length
and vertical gain of the hike shouldn't be an issue. Without doubt, it was
the most memorable hike I've done.

I have never done a hike with chain assistance, either, but it wasn't an
issue for me. I've forgotten the vertical drop from the chain area and
Landing but it is a BIG drop. I'm pretty sure that there were a few areas
where you can look Down both sides of the ridge but it's not like a 10" wide
ledge that you have no wish to do again. It does get a bit more interesting
when you meet someone going the other way on the chains--there are places to
safely pass each other. But look at the bright side--unlike some Zion hikes,
you have no chance of a flash flood sweeping you to your death on Angels
Landing. Ah, from a map, it looks like you may be able to look straight down
a good 800-1200' or so...as I said, the most memorable hike I've done.

Let us know what you decide, either now or after returning from the trip.
I'd like to hear your thoughts.

Craig

PS: from a web search:

In August 2006, a 29 year old Las Vegas woman fell 1,000 feet to her death
from near the top of the trail, the 5th fatality here since 1983.

Pix: http://www.zionnational-park.com/ima...m2/index10.htm