Old August 22nd, 2004, 08:04 PM
Johan W. Elzenga

Hans-Georg Michna wrote:

I would like to do a short safari (about 5 days) and was wondering
which park would be better to see the most wildlife (variety and
quantity). I'll be arriving in Nairobi middle of Jan. 2005) It
appears that the migration is at the south eastern part of the
Serengeti in January, Feb and March . I'm also very interested in the
Masai culture.

I seem to observe here that the wildebeest migration may be
overrated. It's just too easy to say, "You've got to see the
migration!"

My personal opinion is that I would not necessarily adjust my
itinerary to the migration. East Africa is always interesting,
whether the plains are full of wildebeest or not.

For such a very short safari it may be a waste of time to travel
to the far end of the Serengeti.

If money plays no role, you could fly there though, provided
that a tourism company provides you with all the required
service, collects you from the airfield, etc. Otherwise I
wouldn't do it, unless you have an overriding reason to see many
wildebeests.

For a 5 day safari I would go to Kenya and see Amboseli and
Maasai Mara. Or Samburu and Maasai Mara, or perhaps passing by
Lake Nakuru on the way to Maasai Mara, but you should be careful
not to be travelling long distances all the time. The safari may
feel rushed anyway, because 5 days is really short.

Five days is too short for a Samburu - Masai Mara combination, unless
you are flying. If not, you would only have one full day in Samburu, one
half day in Nakuru and one full day in Masai Mara. The rest of the time
would be spent on the road. I would suggest Nakuru and Masai Mara,
rather than Amboseli or Samburu and Masai Mara. More diversity, less
travel.

--
Johan W. Elzenga johanatjohanfoto.nl
Editor / Photographer http://www.johanfoto.nl/