Old June 13th, 2005, 08:23 PM
tile

Ciao would be used among young people or among people that are well
acquainted with each other.
It would be funny to use it with people that you do not know or older than
you are.
"Graeme Miller" ha scritto nel messaggio
Conversational Italian now...

The older language tapes suggest that "Ciao" is only for use between
friends
of if you're talking to children. The more modern BBC late night
programmes
sprinkle the greeting around quite liberally as if its got the same status
as "Hi" in English.

Lots of perfect strangers say "Hi" to each other in the English speaking
world, but would an Italian I don't know be affronted if I said "Ciao" to
them on first meeting?