Old February 4th, 2008, 07:12 AM posted to rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.africa
William Black

Default Malaria and Mosquito Repellent

"Alan S" wrote in message
Hi All

I'm going on a trip which will include Thailand, Cambodia,
India, Jordan, Egypt and Yucatan in a few weeks.

I will be doing the normal prophylaxis for malaria. I have
to be fairly careful with a shaky immune system.

I would appreciate suggestions on the most effective rub-on
or spray-on mosquito repellents for daily personal use.
Preferably one that doesn't also repel those who sit next to
me in buses and which doesn't make me appear to be covered
in baby oil and which is likely to be available in those
countries if replenishment is needed.

I'll be talking to my doc on medication prophylaxis, but any
thoughts on that would also be appreciated.

Malaria medication can have some nasty side-effects, especially if taken
for longer than eight weeks or so.

Plus it can make you drowsy, affect sleep patterns and all sorts of nasty
stuff. The reason people start it before they go is to find out if you can
function while taking the stuff. It also isn't that effective, it only
seems to stop 30% to 50% of infections...

In India I find that decent anti-insect discipline when sleeping (always
switch on the electric mosquito killer, make sure the window meshes are in
good condition) and rub on DEET (about 30% works, anything over 50%
irritates my skin) about an hour before dusk if going out of doors.

There's an old trick you can try, which is to spray some 100% DEET on your
hat brim now and again, but your hat gets in a disgusting state after a
month or so...

As for brands, the 'Boots' own brand 'tropical strength stuff works.

So does one called 'Jungle Juice' but it's three times the price...

My experience is that the best you can buy is the stuff the local chemist,
wherever the insects are, recommends, because the insects vary...

--
William Black

Time for tea.