Old April 3rd, 2009, 06:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

Default Can some advise best way to call USA from Europe

I also want to mention callback services. If you subscribe to one
of these services you are given a US number to call from abroad
from almost any local phone (it might not work from hotel phones,
though). You let it ring once and hang up. since there was n
connection, there was no charge.

In a few minutes you get a call to the local phone you just used
(or you may have to desgnate a foreign number). The callback has
simply an American dial tone and you can proceed to call just as
you would if in the USA. Your cost is for an intrastate call, not
an international call.

It's not as cheap as Skype, though.

When we go to Finland we have a relative there supply us with a
cell phone, and we used this system with great success. But that
was before a caller had to pay to call a cell phone. Once that
charge was put in place thre was no way for the callback service
to access our Finnish cell phone.