Old February 9th, 2006, 07:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default Pacific Coast Highway drive time?

Assuming you cut over to Hwy 101 from Portland via one of the faster
routes (highway 18 through McMinnville or Highway 20 through Corvallis)
and don't back-track North to Astoria, and then follow highway 101 all
the way through without stopping, you could probably make it in about 16
hours.

Keep in mind that highway 101 will only maintain ocean views for about
30 to 40 percent of the route. There are many places where the highway
cuts inland anywhere from five to 20 miles from the coast and then
doesn't approach the coast again for 50 or 60 miles.

thirty-seven wrote:

Bob Gardner wrote:

When we make the trip from Seattle to SFO using the coast route we allow two
and a half days....but we usually pack it in no later than 6PM. Not
interested in night driving the 101. The PCH is a wonderful route but the
speed limit for a lot of it is 50mph....justified by the many curves and
hills. You will quite often find yourself stuck in a line behind a truck or
RV; there are turnouts and passing lanes but they never seem to be there
when I need them. One plus is the fact that all of the visual goodies will
be on the right side of the car as you go south.

I have predicated my answer on 101; if you leave 101 at Leggett and go over
to 1, along the beach, add a couple of hours because now we are talking
about a two-lane road.

Thanks. I think we'll stick to the 101. Could you tell me,
approximately, how many hours the drive takes you?

Bob Gardner

- DB