Old February 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
James Silverton[_3_]

Default Hawaii question

Stefan wrote on Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:57:14 GMT:

Thanks for the replies Shawn and Runge11. I have googled and
checked out the air fares interisland. The cost doesn't seem
all that bad but the logistics have me concerned. Since
spending a little time near Kaanapali is a high priority I'm
leaning towards just staying there instead of going to Kauai.
I'm only going for about a week and I'd rather relax at one
place rather than spending a day traveling interisland. But,
if there was a way to charter a boat and sail from Kauai to
Kaanapali and back in a day I'd consider that. That'd
seem more like a vacation than running through airports and
car rental agencies.

Gary,

I think you are unaware of the distance between Kauai and
Maui--a little over 200 miles (320 km). That's a little far
for day trip by boat.

Since you really, really want to visit Kaanapali and only have
a week, stay in Kaanapali and tour Maui, Lanai, and Molokai.
Save Kauai for the next time.

I like Kauai but there's more than enough to keep you pleasantly
occupied on Maui for a week, especially if you allocate a good slug of
time for fish watching and lazing on the beach. You should also watch
the sunset at the top of Haleakala and perhaps drive to and stay
overnight in Hana. There are lots of good day and half-day hikes if you
feel energetic, also whale watching at the right time of the year and
various cruises around the coast.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland