Old May 13th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Jeremy

Default Driving in Spain

On 13/5/04 17:31, in article , "B
Vaughan" wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2004 12:24:07 GMT, Tim Challenger
"timothy(dot)challenger(at)apk(dot)at" wrote:

On Thu, 13 May 2004 14:15:09 +0200, B Vaughan wrote:

The road system is excellent, but I found the intersections poorly
marked compared to Italy, where I live. We got lost at least once a
day.

What? I found Italian road signs to be the worst I've ever come across,
even worse than rural Germany. I've never driven in Spain but it must be
bad !

In Italy virtually every intersection has signs indicating the next,
or next few, towns in that direction. Even tiny rural lanes exiting
from the main road have a sign indicating the little hamlets they lead
to. When I first came to Italy, I used to take the car and follow my
nose, as a way of getting to know my area. I knew that it was almost
impossible to get lost.

Road signs in France are completely random. Sometimes a road will be
signposted with its number, most times it won't. Sometimes it will be
signposted to a major destination, eg Paris, or it may be signposted to some
minor local place or facility. Navigation is therefore a nightmare,
particularly as junctions are often very obscure, requiring you to turn in a
counter-intuitive direction.

J;