Old February 12th, 2007, 07:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,ba.transportation,misc.transport.urban-transit
sharx35

Default LA Times: U.S. Love Affair With The Car Ending

wrote in message
In article 9XNzh.51504$Fd.8578@edtnps90, "sharx35"
wrote:

keep population figures in my immediate consciousness. Area wise, we have
the biggest urban park in North America...even bigger than NYC's Central
Park.

Well, Central Park isn't really that big:

Central Park, New York, 341 hectares (843 acres)
Nose Hill Park, Calgary: 1127 hectares (2784 acres)
Forest Park, Portland, Oregon: 2085 hectares (5155 acres)
(does not include ajacent parks such as Pittock Acres Park, Upper
McCley Park, Washington Park, etc. which expand to total area
that act as one large park, but in fact are administered separately)
George Bush Park, Houston, Texas: 3156 hectares (7800 acres)
Tijuca National Park, Rio de Janeiro: 3300 hectares (8154 acres)

In some time spent searching, I was unable to find anything about a large
park in Edmonton.

It's called the North Saskatchewan River Valley, passing through the MIDDLE
of the city. 95% of it is parkland. Most of those other parks are at the
outskirts of a city.

--
-Glennl
The despammed service works OK, but unfortunately