Old February 20th, 2007, 01:20 AM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,ba.transportation,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jym Dyer

Default LA Times: U.S. Love Affair With The Car Ending

"Traffic Calming" actually means "traffic infuriating"
or "causing aggressive driving". We have it here in
Champaign-Urbana IL, and it is a disaster.

I'm afraid I must agree. "traffic calming" is anything
but calming for those subjected to it.

=v= Sigh. Not so.

=v= The real problem here is that people are using the
words "traffic calming" inaccurately. Traffic calming is
a systems approach, which uses various traffic engineering
devices to keep things moving smoothly. Unfortunately,
in some municiplaities what happens is that they ignore
the systems approach and misuse the devices as obstacles.
And they mislabel it "traffic calming."
_Jym_