Old July 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

Default AirAsia

In article , Chris Blunt
says...

Delays can happen for all kinds of reasons. Weather, congestion at
airports, aircraft technical problems etc. All airlines are affected
by those factors and always have been. Low-cost airlines like Air Asia
are affected most of all because they have tighter turnaround times at
airports to keep their aircraft in the air for a higher proportion of
the time. If an airline schedules only 45 minutes between a flight
arriving and the same aircraft taking off again that leaves less time
to make up for any delays than if you allow a couple of hours between
flights.

Well, just consider the following. Most European flights by full-service
airlines are delayed, while out of the 8 Airasia flights I took in June
7 were on time or early and just one delayed.

Besides, Airasia starts the checkin procedure around 40 minutes before
the departure, so the planes must have more than just 45 minutes between
flights at the airports.

That's only because Malaysian Airlines,along with many other carriers,
have cut their fares recently to try to get passengers flying again
during the economic recession. The problems those full-service
carriers have now is those lower fares are not sustainable in the long
term with the business models they have. They will eventually have to
raise their fares again or they'll go bankrupt.

You are making some speculations here without having sufficient
information. Malaysian is undertaking measures to cut costs, for
instance by selling more through the web (lower selling costs) and by
reducing salaries. I know this because I read an article in a local
Malaysian newspaper talking about salary reductions at MAS.

By the way, nowadays Airasia is "full service". They are even better
than MAS, because they offer more flights. The only advantage of MAS is
that they use the better terminal (KLIA vs LCCT for Airasia).
--

Alfred Molon